Here is a new bug fix release of kwooty: 0.7.2.
The fixed bugs below:
- Fix bug #3386546 that could lead to server connection drop if Bandwidth manager plugin was active with download limit set to “No Limit”
- Fix bug #3390955 that unpacked zipped files format that were not intended to be (ie : .war files)
All the best,
Here is a kwooty bug fix release (0.7.1), the changelog below:
- Fix issue when decoding uu encoded files whose file name contains white spaces (thanks to Nicholas for fixing this !)
- If message 481 from usenet server is received, try to download segment 1 minute later than considering it as not present
- Fix bug #3361080 (and regression from 0.6.3 by the way) that could lead to server connection drop
That’s all, enjoy hollidays !
Here is the spring release of kwooty aka kwooty 0.7.0, lets begin by an overall screenshot of the main window :
And as usual, the detailed change-log below:
- Retry action added (accessible via “right click > Retry” context menu or “Downloads > Retry” menu) that allows to re set in queue files whose download/verify/extract process failed :
Retry action available from right click context menu and from Download menu
Selected File(s) can now be reset in queue if file(s):
- is decoded but has an incorrect CRC
- has not been found on server
- can not be repaired
- can not be extracted
Files not found on server or with a bad CRC can be reset in queue anytime during download process.
Files that can not be repaired/extracted can be reset in queue when verify/extract process has ended respectively.
It can be used in two different ways, if retry action is performed:
- on selected files (children items), only selected files will be reset in queue.
- on the overall nzb file (parent item), all children files whose download/verify/extract process failed will be reset in queue.
- Bandwidth management plugin added that allows to limit and schedule download speed:
Bandwidth manager plugin
The download speed can be limited all the time or can be scheduled on a 30 minutes basis calendar.
This simple calendar allows to choose between three download speed statuses for your schedule needs:
- no download speed limit
- speed is limited
- downloads are paused
Speed limit scheduler
- Active servers will now try to also download files not found by Master server (in a load balancing way if several active servers are set) instead of just being considered as missing.
The principle of Active servers is to act as another Master server and to download queued files at the same time than Master server.
Previously, if a file was not found from Master server it was just considered as missing (or was set as pending if a passive backup server was setup).
Now if the Master server does not find any file, one of the Active servers will try to download it in its turn before considering it as really missing.
- Basic splitted files (as name.ext.001, name.ext.002) merging process is now handled (in addition of rar, zip and 7z archives)Previously splitted files were not managed, now they will be identified as and merged during extraction process.
- A decoded file that has a bad crc will be notified to user with an appropriate icon and status :
A decoded file with an incorrect CRC
This feature could be useful to know if par2 files are mandatory to repair decoded files. For a nzb content without any par2 files, if a decoded file gets a incorrect CRC, there are great chances that extraction process will fail.
On the other hand, even if par2 files are present it can be useful to reset a decoded file with a bad CRC in queue during download process.
That almost there about this release, I hope you will like it. By the way do not hesitate to report feedback, bring some suggestions or features that you would like to see in the next release !
Finally, I would like to thank the translators (big up to Michael and Pavel) that performed a great job !
Now it’s time for me to take a break, spring time is there !
Here is a kwooty bug fix release (0.6.3), the changelog below:
- Corrupted download files could happen on some usenet providers if host returned 503 or 436 response codes when a segment download was requested. Now the segment is not considered as missing and download will be requested again.
- Regression fix : user was not notified about eventual decoding errors.
Development is going on for next release, more news should come within several weeks, so stay tuned !
Here is a small kwooty release (0.6.2), below the changelog :
- Fix compilation issue with KDE SC 4.6 shipped with new power management
- Small update in Czech translation.
Merry Christmas !
Here is kwooty 0.6.1 !
This is a translation update and bug fix release, below a screenshot of what it looks like :
As usual the detailed changelog :
- Czech translation (thanks a lot Pavel !)
- Bug fixes :
- Kwallet now reopens the wallet it is closed
- Credentials were not correctly removed from plain text when Kwallet option was enabled
- Watch folder was not working correctly on certain distro. It seems that KDirWatch class was not returning the full nzb file path when FAM or INotify were not used as notify methods. A workaround as been added in order to manage this case. If issue is still present, feedback are welcome !
That’s all for this release !
The Kwooty 0.6.0 release has been mainly focused on multi-server support trying to bring friendly features
Here the detailled changelog:
- Multi-server support:
The “+” and “-” buttons allows to respectively add and remove backup servers.
When a backup server is added a new tab is created. The priority of the current backup server over others can be changed by moving tab with drag & drop.
- 4 modes are available for each backup server:
- Passive: a Passive backup server will download files only not found on Master server and will stay Idle the rest of the time ( A Passive backup server will stay Idle if the Master server is down at any time: this can be useful to control the downloaded content size for a backup server with a pay-per-size account for example).
- Active: an Active backup server will download files simultaneously with Master server until all pending files are processed (this kind of backup server can be in fact considered as a second Master server as it will have the same behavior. This can be useful to speed up a slowly Master server).
- Failover: a Failover backup server will work as “Passive” as long as Master server is available. If Master server becomes down for what ever reason (account has been disabled, quota limit has been reached, …), the first “Failover” backup server found in tabs will replace and will act as the Master Server.
- In any case Master server is down, the Failover backup server replaces Master server and downloads queued files until Master server come back available (several Failover backup servers are possible, priority is then managed by tab order in server settings)
- If several servers are set in “Failover” Mode, the first “Failover” backup server will download pending files, the other “Failover” backup servers will download only queued files not found on first “Failover”backup server.
- If Master server is down and first “Failover” backup is also down, the next “Failover” backup server (if any) will supersede the two previous ones.
- Disabled: server is not used by server configuration is kept for later usage
- 4 modes are available for each backup server:
- An information bar allowing to watch the following information on a per-server basis has been added (hidden or shown by clicking on the “double arrow” icon at the right of the status bar):
Clicking on dedicated server button (Master, Backup server 1, etc…) will provide information about the current server.
- Added new icon to identify queued files that need to be downloaded by a backup server :
- Kwallet support : server passwords can now be stored in kwallet instead of plain text
- Pending downloads can be restored without confirmation at startup and / or be saved without confirmation at exit (configurable in “General > Confirmation dialogs” tab)
- Added context menu allows access to frequent actions (Start All, Start, Pause All , etc…)
- Added shortcuts to settings when double clicking on server status or shutdown information on status bar
That’s all for this release. I hope multi-server support will bring most of needs…
Finally I would like to thank Djellel, Guillaume and Michael who contributed in different ways in this release !
As usual after each release, it’s time for me to take a little break (development will start again within several weeks) !
While not working on new features during vacations I added small enhancement in this tiny release, here is the changelog of version kwooty 0.5.1:
- Display update : parent row height has been increased
- Display update : when parent row is selected or mouse hover, “Progress” column now displays colored background as other columns
- Display update : when a parent row is expanded, “File Name” column automatically adjusts its size according to children “File Name” text size and available window size.
It currently looks like this picture when the row is not expanded (row height has been increased a little and background over progress bar is now correct) :
There when the row is expanded, the “File Name” column as been automatically increased (according to main window width) in order to see the whole text of children rows :
- Behavior fix : when a new kde session is started and kwooty session is loaded, main window remains minimized if “Show system tray icon” is enabled
- Ready for language translation : kwooty.pot has been added in “po” directory. If you wish to contribute do not hesitate to contact me : xavier.kwooty AT gmail.com
That’s all for this tiny release.
Here is the version 0.5.0 of Kwooty !
- Systray icon support:
- download progress is displayed on systray icon (ala Amarok).
- moose over systray icon will provide information tooltip about jobs being processed.
- new Kde system tray support will be used (KStatusNotifierItem) if kwooty is compiled against Kde >= 4.4.
If compiled against Kde 4.4, the new KStatusNotifierItem and the systray will look like this :
If compiled against Kde 4.3, KSystemTrayIcon will be used and the systray will get the old style :
- Added Pause all – Start all actions in systray icon context menu : All pending downloads can be started/paused from systray context menu.
- Nofication support: user can now be notified when a job is totally finished and when there is not enough free disk space.
- Nice process priority option: priority of external programs (par2, unrar, 7z) can now be lowered (for those who encounter slowdows during par2/extract processes) by settings a predefined or custom value to ‘nice’ program (configurable in Settings > External Programs > Priotiry tab).
- Plugin handling support: kwooty now handles plugins. Plugin support architecture has been setup in order to offer a proper place for eventual future features as bandwith scheduler, rss support, send mail, etc…
- “watch folder” feature has switched from core program to become a plugin part (can now be enabled/disabled in “Settings > Plugins”):
Hu !? Only one plugin ?
- Updated closing confirmation dialog box: cancel quitting is now possible.
- Updated download speed display in status bar : speed is displayed in MiB/s when appropriate (instead of KiB/s).
- Preferences gui update.
- A few performance optimations.
That’s all for this release folks !
Now it’s time for me to take a break (enjoying summer time ), kwooty development will then be resumed in September !
All the best,
It took a little more time than expected but Kwooty 0.4.0 has been released, below a screenshot of version 0.4.0 :
…And as usual the detailed changelog:
- Zip and 7z file extract support. Thanks to 7z binary program, kwooty should be able to extract Zip and 7z files archives (the only drawback is as 7z does not inform about extracting % progress, kwooty will indicate n/a in progress column).
- Added internal decoder for UUEncode file format. As I dropped libuu since version 0.3.0, I wrote an internal uu decoder as this kind of format is sometimes met around usenet. Hoping that it could be useful.
- Added “Down” and “Up” buttons for better queue management.
“Down” and “Up” buttons now replace “Bottom” and “Top” buttons in toolbar in order to not overload the toolbar.
These buttons remain available from “Download” menu and by keyboard shortcuts as well, or can also be added by customizing the toolbar.
- Added “Downloads” button in tool bar: this feature opens the current download folder with file manager.
- A widget displaying remaining time or estimated time of arrival (ETA) of pending files has been added in status bar (you can switch between them in “Settings > Display Modes”).
- Free disk space indicator has been added in status bar.
If free disk space is not sufficient to download remaining queued files, a warning icon will appear near free space bar like shown below:
The free disk space indicator can be disabled in “Settings > Display Modes” if not needed.
- Added Watch folder feature (configurable in “Settings > General > advanced tab”) : new .nzb files put in an user-specified watch folder will automatically be enqueued.
- Scheduled shutdown time and estimated download time will now be displayed according to system time settings (AM/PM format).
- In “Connection” settings, when host connection port is set to 443 or 563, “Enable SSL connection” checkbox will automatically be set as checked.
- Several bug fixes have also been fixed :
- par2 files download process (mandatory for repairing because direct extract failed due to a Bad CRC archive file) could hang for a .nzb file with multi files-set content.
- Archive files with accentuated characters were not fully monitored during extract process (related to utf-8 and accentued characters taken from unrar output).
- workaround for QTBUG-7585 (related to Qt 4.6 series): tree expander could disappear during download process file when tree was not expanded.
That’s all for this release folks !
Hoping that some of these stuffs will be useful for your needs, do not hesitate to give your feedbacks, suggestions and feature requests for future releases.
I will now take good time with a couple of weeks break